Doctor Evil

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 16:37:59 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert my surname here wrote in message

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message
enews.net...
Always have clean pair off smart overalls on each day.

Not a bad idea, at least in that they should look clean. Many workwear
suppliers will embroider your business name on your overalls for a

modest
charge, which also looks professional.

Have good quality
"attractive" to look at tools; chrome
and the likes, as customers like
shiny tools. ..

That would make me think he was new
at the job, with a new set of tools.

But you are not the customer. They like shiny professional looking

tools.

Better throw the PPPoo stuff in the skip, then.

They are actually nice and shiny.

Well-used, but well-maintained, tools
are the mark of the craftsman.

Turn up in old scruffy clothes an tool bag full of crap and half rusty

cheap
iron tools and instantly you are branded a cowboy. The Brits have not
grasped this yet. The Americans figured this out decades ago. In the
recent TV prog, Posh Plumbers, the owner had the right idea. The men,

and
women, had to look smart at all times, otherwise you were reprimanded,

and
the vans clean, looking like new. The van with your name on is also an
advertising board, so must be clean at all times.

One heating fitter I came across was brilliant. He did exactly what I
described, and had the overalls with the RAF type zips all over them. On
fitting a heating system, he would have a special trolley that rolled out

of
his van with tool boxes attached. He would wheel this into a room with a
workmate and make this room of the house his base for the week. Dust

sheets
were laid everywhere. He had special tools with angle chucks for

drilling
walls at skirting level. He made minimum mess. People would wait 9

months
just to get him.

I said to him you never served your time in the UK. He said he did, but

went
to the USA/Canada on passing out and took it up from there. He just did

it
the way they did. I described the Brits as third world in their

approach,
and he totally agreed.

With qualification, I actually agree with you.
There is a part of the market for this type
of service that I suspect would pay a price
premium and would be impressed by the
kind of cleanliness, smartness
and image that you describe.

You shouldn't have to pay a price. People paid the price because the
alternative was hassle, mess and dirt.

British tradesmen have this attitude to have someone pass the tools. The
Yanks, have tool belts and the likes all for one man working. They can do
it all by themselves, because they are brought up that way and have the
equipment to do it that way.

However, the old lady and corner shop market which is more minded to
expect a lot for a little, either deliberately or because they don't
know what things cost.

Doing a good job is important, but so is leaving a good lasting
impression in the customer's mind. Cleanliness and neatness as
described is part of that, I think.

I'm sure that we've all seen Eddie Stobart trucks in our travels.
This firm gets 11/10 for marketing in my book. Road transport hardly
has a fancy image, but they've managed to achieve great fame in a
variety of ways - fan clubs the lot. One of the original ideas was
to have the drivers wearing a shirt and tie and shaving. It raised
the firm's image and profile. It's now changed somewhat, and he's
now able to sell the branded clothing as well.

It seems to me that the handyman market would be a great franchise
opportunity for somebody to invent.