nightjar

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message
news.net...

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert my surname here wrote in message

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message
enews.net...
Always have clean pair off smart overalls on each day.

Not a bad idea, at least in that they should look clean. Many workwear
suppliers will embroider your business name on your overalls for a modest
charge, which also looks professional.

Have good quality
"attractive" to look at tools; chrome
and the likes, as customers like
shiny tools. ..

That would make me think he was new
at the job, with a new set of tools.

But you are not the customer. They like shiny professional looking tools.

I am exactly the customer I suggested he try for: the owner of a small
business who needs someone to do property maintenance work. The sort of
customer who knows that shiny tools haven't seen much use.

Well-used, but well-maintained, tools
are the mark of the craftsman.

Turn up in old scruffy clothes an tool bag full of crap and half rusty
cheap
iron tools and instantly you are branded a cowboy.

That is the other end of the spectrum. I wouldn't trust that workman either.
I want someone with well-used, but well-looked after tools.

.. The Americans figured this out decades ago. In the
recent TV prog, Posh Plumbers, the owner had the right idea. The men, and
women, had to look smart at all times, otherwise you were reprimanded, and
the vans clean, looking like new. The van with your name on is also an
advertising board, so must be clean at all times.

How much of that makes their work any better? All it does is to enable the
company to sell itself better, which is not the same as providing a good
service.

Colin Bignell