Andy Hall

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 15:53:52 +0100, "nightjar" nightjar@insert my
surname here.uk.com wrote:

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message
eenews.net...
Always have clean pair off smart overalls on each day.

Not a bad idea, at least in that they should look clean. Many workwear
suppliers will embroider your business name on your overalls for a modest
charge, which also looks professional.

Have good quality
"attractive" to look at tools; chrome and the likes, as customers like
shiny
tools. ..

That would make me think he was new at the job, with a new set of tools.
Well-used, but well-maintained, tools are the mark of the craftsman.

Colin Bignell

I think that that's true if you are hiring a craftsman. For example,
several years ago, I hired a carpenter to do some specific joinery in
oak in the house, including stairs, doors, skirtings etc. This was
before I was equipped with the tools/machinery that I could do it
myself.

This guy was coming up to retirement age and his tools were certainly
in the well used and maintained category and he was able to cut boards
to length and angle by eye. Quite incredible.

He was reasonably neat and clean but not sparkling. He cleaned up
reasonably well, but not spotlessly each day. It was fairly major
work, so a certain amount of mess while work is proceeding is
reasonable.

So in the context of hiring a craftsman, I would tend to agree with
you. I don't thing that he did this for any marketing type of reason
- it was just him, he was his own person if you like.

However, for the handyman, my sense is more of someone who does
relatively short jobs that the householder can't or doesn't want to do
- perhaps the busy professional person etc. is the typical person.
I think that in this case, appearance is quite important as is
neatness and cleanliness. This type of customer wants the tradesman
to arrive on time, do the job as quickly and cleanly as possible and
leave no mess (ideally not make any in the first place).

I suspect that this type of customer is going to be willing to pay a
price premium for this kind of service. However, it is going to be
the professional with disposable income and rich old lady market.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com