BigWallop

"David Lang" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi All

The day job looks like it may be going to disappear fairly soon, which has
got me thinking about the future.

Being 50+ I'd guess the job market isn't going to welcome me with open

arms.

Looking at what I'm good at and concentrating on my strengths lead me to
think of starting up as a handyman/property maintenance. I have the
knowledge, experience & equipment.

Quick Google seems to indicate that people are charging reasonable hourly
rates.

Anyone running a similar business who has any advice?

Dave

Get yourself a bloody accountant that works for you not themselves. Get
registered with the local council, the local police and fire services and,
if your really want to make a go of it, get registered with companies house.

Look forward to much bloody, sweat and tears for the first two to three
years, but after that you should be able to settle down in to a good routine
for yourself. Save every penny you can for the lean times, and always try
to give yourself a full day a week to do all your paperwork and things.

Never ever try to do a job in one day if materials are needed from a local
merchants. Always, in cases like this, tell the customer you'll be back
tomorrow with everything needed for the job, and always take slightly more
things than "THINK" you'll need. Look at the work required fully, and don't
assume that the job is like every other one of its kind that you've done in
passed. They never usually are "all" the same.

I've been self employed now for 20 odd years, and all I can really say to
you is "Good Luck my man".