Andy Hall

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 23:19:47 GMT, "David Lang"
wrote:

Hi All

The day job looks like it may be going to disappear fairly soon, which has
got me thinking about the future.

Being 50+ I'd guess the job market isn't going to welcome me with open arms.

Looking at what I'm good at and concentrating on my strengths lead me to
think of starting up as a handyman/property maintenance. I have the
knowledge, experience & equipment.

Quick Google seems to indicate that people are charging reasonable hourly
rates.

Anyone running a similar business who has any advice?

Dave

You might want to ping Andrew McKay, Dave.

He posts here periodically, and I've met him at a couple of UK.D-I-Y
meets locally here in the Thames Valley.

Andrew started a similar type of idea in the local area, but has now
stopped and moved on to other things.

I can remember him saying that a couple of the issues that he had was
the trade off between length of jobs and travel time in between, and
quite a lot of customers having very low expectations of what they
would pay.

However, it may be that it's a different story depending on area of
the country, local situation and willingness of people to pay a
reasonable price for work done - and of course your expectation of
income.

His web site "handymac" I think has gone, but I think you should be
able to contact him through www.kazmax.co.uk

It's worth emailing him, because I'm sure he'll be able to tell you
what he found worked and didn't and some of the snares and pitfalls
for the unwary.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl