mrcheerful

"David Lang" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi All

The day job looks like it may be going to disappear fairly soon, which has
got me thinking about the future.

Being 50+ I'd guess the job market isn't going to welcome me with open
arms.

Looking at what I'm good at and concentrating on my strengths lead me to
think of starting up as a handyman/property maintenance. I have the
knowledge, experience & equipment.

Quick Google seems to indicate that people are charging reasonable hourly
rates.

Anyone running a similar business who has any advice?

Dave

One of my relatives set up a property maintenance company, initially he just
decorated places that people let out, but it grew and grew, he now employs
several other people. All in the space of a few years.
Start small with the equipment you have, don't get bank loans 'to start you
off' Preferably have a guaranteed income from a part time job while you
find your feet. Don't get conned into putting up your money to repair some
one else's property, they will shaft you. Keep records of everything, take
pictures of your work. Decide on an hourly rate and don't deviate down.
Don't accept just any job, if it smells wrong leave it, there are loads more
and you have lost nothing by turning down a job. I work for myself and have
developed my own rules as to who I will work for, decide your own and stick
to it, the one time you think, oh just this one will be ok, things will go
pear shaped. The richest people I have ever met are similar in that they
never do something unless they can see the profit in it, so no favours for
friends.

mrcheerful