raden

In message , David Lang
writes
Hi All

The day job looks like it may be going to disappear fairly soon, which has
got me thinking about the future.

Being 50+ I'd guess the job market isn't going to welcome me with open arms.

Looking at what I'm good at and concentrating on my strengths lead me to
think of starting up as a handyman/property maintenance. I have the
knowledge, experience & equipment.

Quick Google seems to indicate that people are charging reasonable hourly
rates.

Anyone running a similar business who has any advice?

I think that there's much more to it than saying "Hello, I'm a handyman"

You have to think about advertising, holidays, running a business etc

others will post, but you have to think about what you expect from such
a business and how to charge accordingly

There are all the regulations with which you must comply and insurance
you have to take out

I'm not trying to put you off, but, there's more to it than just doing
the work

--
geoff