Pete C

On 30 Jun 2005 11:29:25 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

Hehe, that's sony for you, either their love of non standard ways or
get you to use their pricier kit. Just cos' it's not charging doesn't
mean it's not powered.

Actually, their kit is doing the right thing, it's just it'd be nice
to be able to switch it to doing the wrong thing.

I don't see how needing a connected PC for the charger to work
benefits the user in any way.

AFAIK a USB port can't deny power unless it's overloaded, to do
otherwise would complicate things with no benefit.

Not quite true.
Plugging in a 'dumb' peripheral that draws 0.5A, without bothering
to enumerate, while doing a backup to a USB HD, or doing a long sound
recording, would both be bad.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one

cheers,
Pete.