RedOnRed wrote:
Anyway, to the point, this caught my attention a little:
"The laminated timber adds extra stability and durability as well as a
superior quality finish thus reducing maintenance to a minimum and being
more environmentally friendly than other methods of construction."
Laminated, is that plywood then?
--
fred

I've just found another explanation for "laminated" wooden double glazing on
another site...

"The use of multi-layer timber is long established in Britain for long span
timber structures in demanding environments such as swimming pools and
bridges. In common use on the continent, but very rare in Britain, is the
use for window and door sections. This multi-layer structure is particularly
effective in resisting warping and twisting as the opposing grains even out
natural moisture movement. And It is the twisting of timber during wet
weather, more than the swelling itself, which causes windows and doors to
stick. Multi-layer timber sections are used as standard throughout our
range."

That's a sound arguement in favour of multi-layer timber. I know an
example of a Grade I listed windmill that had a rotten sail spar
replaced with a laminated beam as it proved difficult to obtain a
single timber of sufficient quality. For windows and doors the
arguement is not so clear cut. The wood will be more stable and there
will be less risk of things getting stuck or rattling from time to time
but against that must be weighed the appearance of a factory made
product against the quirkieness of handmade joinery using solid timber.
They have different characteristics and it may come down to a matter
of taste. A piece of solid oak may not stay straight and true for
hundreds of years but that doesn't stop it forming a beautiful and
servicable window or door for centuries. You pays your money and takes
your choice.