Uno Hoo!

"Geoffrey" wrote in message
On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:22:54 +0100, Geoffrey
wrote:

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:14:36 +0100, "Uno Hoo!"
wrote:

Is it normal for a house built in the mid 70's to have the roof rainwater
drain-off ending in a soak-away?
I'm building a largish patio and because of the area am including a
driveway
drain at the lowest side. I was planning on splicing into the rainwater
drain but when I dug down to find the drain pipe I found that it ended in
soakaway. It's made things much simpler for me because now I can just
feed
the drain from the patio down into the soakaway as well rather than
having
to break into a run of drain pipe. I'm just surprised, however, to find
house rainwater drain ending in a soakaway!

Kev

Where else would it go?

I didn't quite mean that - what I meant was, what else are soakaways
for?

Well, I know what they are for - I just assumed that they were a last resort
when 'grey-water' sewers were not available. There are both foul-water
sewers and grey water sewers around my house and so I expected the rain
water to go into a proper sewer and not into a soak-away which seems rather
crude! Incidentally I found the end of the drain pipe was almost completely
clogged with dirt, debris, and a mesh of fine roots. All this had just
piled up against the rocks in the soakaway.

Kev