The price of a window varies a lot. =A3500 is not expensive but you
wouldn't ask 'How much does a car cost?' A more reasonable question
would be how much does a small diesel hatchback with less than 50000
miles cost?
'Hardwood' could mean various things. Usually it means the destruction
of a bit of rainforest. Sometimes it means the sustainable production
of English oak. Does your 'average sized' window have glazing bars to
divide the sashes into several lights? Do the sashes slide hoizontally
or are they hung to slide vertically? Or is it a casement window?
With uniform glazing lines? Will the timber be left untreated or
oiled? Or will it be painted? Will cheap modern alkyd paint be used
with the risk of moisture entrapment and subsequent timber deterioation
and peeling paint or would you want a breathable linseed oil paint that
allows the wood to stay dry and won't need repainting for many years?
Will your double glazed units meet Part L of the building regs, with a
U value less than 2? Isyour house listed or in a conservation area
where using hand made cylinder glass rather than float glass is
desired? If you can answer most of these questions I could give you a
quote for the sort of windows I make - but you'll probably have to wait
several months before you could have them.