Fitz

Mary Fisher wrote:
snip various comments about using english

If a person - anyone - wants to communicate effectively I think it does
matter. If the flow of the message is interrupted by a solecism of any kind
then it does matter. It could be argued that a writer who hasn't the
courtesy to bother to check spelling is insulting the reader.

I liken this to how people behave in other parts of their lives. For
instance, do you bother washing? Does it matter if you smell? Many women
wouldn't go out without applying make-up, yet when they open their
beautifully painted mouths the inarticulate noises which emanate therefrom
belie the care they've given to the rest of what they present to the world.

applause

It's all part of the anti-intellectual attitude that pervades this
country. It drives me mad. People seem to be actually scared that
they wont look 'cool' (or whatever the current equivalent is - phat or
bad or rad or something similar), if they are seen to think too much.

It's like associating cause and effect is a weakness. Expressing
yourself clearly makes you a 'boffin' (or whatever the current
equivalent is).

My personal list of awful thigns people say is topped by 'sort of',
'kind of' and 'like' used to indicate a non-commital nature. e.g. It's
sort of like kind of a good idea if you sort of brush your teeth
because like it's kind of like cleaning them you know and it's kind of
like a good thing. (subtext - please don't hate me for wanting to do
something sensible).

Having said all that I do think that life is too short to proof read
usenet.

--

Steve F