Chip

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 19:59:42 GMT,it is alleged that Lobster
spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

I need to run a 10mm earth bonding cable right through the house to
connect the incoming rising main (by the back door) to the main earthing
point next to the CU (by the front door - great!).

Do I need to do this using one unbroken length of cable, or am I allowed
to make a crimped joint to connect two shorter lengths? Reason is that
of course I have a long piece on my reel, but it's just too short to
reach right through the house and I'd rather use it unless the regs say
I can't.

Thanks
David

I have no clue whether the regs permit this or not. I would however
not suggest crimps in this case, personal preference would be a proper
earth block at some accessible and not damp location, such as a
cupboard, in a box with a blank plate on the front, labelled with the
'safety electrical connection - do not remove' sign.

As these earth blocks are often designed for 4-8 conductors, I would
run the earth wire through, double it back and run it into the next
connector, kind of forming two upside down U shapes, such that each
part is clamped by 4 screws. Probably overkill, but the blocks are
cheaper than a huge length of 10mm :-)

However, I would seriously advise waiting for other responses from
this group as many are knowledgable about the regulations in detail
and may know if this is forbidden.

HTH

--
Life is like a hot bath. It feels good while you're in it, but the
longer you stay in, the more wrinkled you get.