Michael Mcneil

"Sparks" wrote in message

The current system takes water from the roof and stores it in 2 1450 Litre
containers (above ground)

Plugging the bathroom outflow into the garden's inflow.

All you need to do it take a section out of the downspout before it
joins the main drain. If this happens on the outside wall it is a simple
job that won't cost more than a few quid in plastic pipe. (Water butts
are a lot more of course.)

It might be worth thinking about if we are in for a few of these
summers. If we are at the start of a bad dought cycle and it doesn't hit
the peak of the other end of spectrum for another 15 years, that
indicates about 7 years or so of dry summers. It would be an investment
if there is a re-run of the late 1970's. (IIRC.)

From two full containers you'd get:

2900 liter =

637.9108201 gallon [UK] =

0.0282128 acre-inch (or if the garden is about 1/10th of an acre you
will have enough to give it all 1/4 inch.)

http://www.onlineconversion.com/volume.htm

That is actually plenty for a week or so.