French style of windows opening inwards allows shutters on the outside.
Perhaps more useful in the French climate than ours, but not really
any more expensive to make. That said, a price of 500 quidish does not
sound at all dear. I would be very suspicious of anything cheaper -
it's probabaly plastic. I only use oak for the windows that I make.
The timber is expensive but it is only a small proportion of the total
cost of a window. The labour is the expensive part. Oak has the
advantage that it is strong and durable. It does not need any
treatment with nasty chemicals but will last for centuries without
rotting. It does not need painting and looks beautiful. Larch and
Douglas fir are durable softwoods but not very much cheaper than oak.
I guess your 16 windows may cost you around the =A310000 mark and you
will probably have to wait a few months.
Biff
Tithe Farm Oak Works