Lurch

Default Worktop worries...

On Mon, 24 May 2004 10:58:27 +0100, "Bob" strung
together this:

1) Is it best to do the cuts in one go, or make several passes, getting
deeper each time?

Yep, that's how you're meant to use a router in all circumstances, cut about
10mm deep on each pass. One tip is when you've got the jig setup you'll notice
there is a couple of mm play in the guide. When you're cutting pull the router
away from the finished side of the cut, then when you've gone all the way
through make a final full depth pass pushing towards the finished edge to clean
up any cut lines or blade marks.

2) I'm a bit concerned about the laminate chipping. I've read that scoring
it first helps, and also clamping some wood to the surface can stop it, but
what about the bullnosed front edge?

You'll be ok with the router and guide, just go gently. The same applies with
the circular saw, just easily guide it in and it'll be fine.

3) Would a circular saw work for the straight cuts? I imagine it would be
quicker, but would I need a special blade (especially to avoid chipping the
laminate?)

Yep, that's what I usually use for straight cuts on worktops, use a fine tooth
blade. It also helps to clamp a rigid straight edge onto the back of the worktop
so that you get a nice straight cut.

Unfortunately no-one seemed
to be interested in doing the work (not unless they also supplied their own
low quality worktops).

Cowboys, I won't fit thin worktops unless the customer supplies them, I'm too
scared of them bending and snapping in the van!

In any case, as my mother-in-law helpfully pointed
out, I could mess up quite a few cuts before it would have been cheaper to
get someone in!

That's the spirit!
--

SJW