Andrew Mawson

"Matt" wrote in message
"crb" wrote:

I recently invested in a new Portaflame MAPP/Oxygen gas welder.
Results to date have been encouraging, and I am slowly improving my
technique. The only problem I have is that on shutting down, by
closing the torch controls for the MAPP and the oxygen a little at

time in turn, I always end up with a loud and unsettling

high-pitched
POP as the flame extinguishes. Can anyone give guidance on why

this is
happening, and whether it is likely to cause damage/injury?

Turn off the oxy first, then the fuel.

--

No!

Fuel gas on first AND off first to avoid the explosions. I was taught
that the only time you should turn the oxygen off first is if you've
had a blow back and the flame is burning in the torch - or horror of
horrors in the pipe.

AWEM