burbeck

On 23 Jun 2005 15:16:48 -0700, "crb"
wrote:

I recently invested in a new Portaflame MAPP/Oxygen gas welder.
Results to date have been encouraging, and I am slowly improving my
technique. The only problem I have is that on shutting down, by
closing the torch controls for the MAPP and the oxygen a little at a
time in turn, I always end up with a loud and unsettling high-pitched
POP as the flame extinguishes. Can anyone give guidance on why this is
happening, and whether it is likely to cause damage/injury?
TIA.

CRB

hi
i recommend turning the fuel gas off first, that way the oxygen
'blows out' the remnents of the flame.
if the oxygen is turned of first the fuel gas will 'flare up' this
could be a hazard.
bob