Pete C

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 15:46:57 +0100, "Paul"
wrote:

In the end i got some stuff called chemical metal thats supposed to glue
everything to everything (so i thought) , i put some fine aluminium mesh
over the hole and put plenty of glue over it, let it dry overnight and
tested it with a hot wash and it leaked a few drops. put some more glue
where it was leaking from and tested it again but it still leaks. not sure
that the glue has enough grab on the plastic drum. options i have now are -
1) add more glue untill it stops leaking hopefully 2) remove as much glue as
possible and try something else?

at the moment option 2 sounds the best but what else can i try?

Hi,

For a shorter term repair I'd tape over the hole with a few layers of
aluminium tape, starting with a small piece and overlapping with
bigger pieces.

For a longer term repair I'd use a patch of stainless steel sheet
(maybe cannibalise some kitchenware) secured with small stainless
machine screws, and seal the edges of the patch and under the screw
heads with a sealant like Fernox LS-X or some other high temperature
sealant, maybe a motor parts shop would have a good one (though clean
off surplus well before SWMBO washes her whites )

cheers,
Pete.