Chris Bacon

John Rumm wrote:
T i m wrote:
The only minor fear I have is when drilling older houses (like mine ..
1897, solid 9" walls and morter mostly sand) that the power of an
'impact' drill might knock some of the bricks about? Also with SDS

Drill pilot holes, and enlarge with bigger bits. Whacking a large
bit through a wall may well give trouble. Don't feed the second
bit through too fast.

It will depend on the wall I guess... we have solid 9" walls here with a
further inch of rock hard render over. No problems drilling with the
SDS, although you need to take it easy on the exit if drilling right
through so that you don't take too big a lump out the wall as an exit
wound!

Again, it's technique - why doesn't anywhere offer a day course
in "how to use DIY hand tools"? You need to support the wall
where the bit will exit, and you won't get a huge crater in
the wall which seems to be the desired aim of TV ariel
installers, etc.

drills being generally heaver I think you loose a bit of 'feel'
compared with a lighter drill?

You do lose "feel" with an SDS drill - the machine itself
should "float" on the drill bit, else drilling performance
will be affected, and the bit also slops about compared to
a bit held in a jawed chuck.