Hugh

"keenbutconfused" wrote in
message ...

Hello. Have been looking on the internet for a while now and although
haven't managed to find an answer to my question do feel an enormous
sense of relief in finding a group of people who between them seem to
have an enormous body of knowledge and the willingness to help people
like me (electricity newcomer) out. I hope you can help
Have taken down existing light fitting in bathroom and have found 2
cables that seem confusing.

Electrics in bathroom are as follows. One pull switch which turns the
one light fitting on and off. When I turn on the light the fan also
comes on. There is an isolator switch whcih can be used to turn off the
fan whilst the light is still on. When the light is turned off the fan
stays on and then turns itself off after about 5 minutes. There is also
a shaver socket.

I have drawn a diagram of how the wires are connected in the light
fitting and the pull cord switch. See link below.

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=6/16915564337.jpg&s=x4

I have been given two suggestions as to how to fix this. Either put in
tc&e cable between pullcord and light. However I do not have access to
the void where the cable runs.

The second suggestion is to wire up as per this diagram.

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=6/17015330484.jpg&s=x2

This would lose me the use of the timer in the fan but would give me
back an effective earth hence making it safe.

Can anybody see any problems/ dangers with this second approach which
is what I intend to do?

Any help you can offer would be really appreciated.

Thanks

--
keenbutconfused

Just to point out that in your diagram you say that the light fitting
doesn't need earthing.
It does if you can reach for example a shower cubicle while touching the
fitting.
My electrician made me cross bond to a radiator before issuing a
certificate. That meant using surface mounted conduit, and earth cable
clipped to skirting boards - I was a bit miffed as this was a completely
re-furbished house and could have been installed within wall spaces, loft
etc.