BigWallop

"Malcolm Stewart" wrote in
message ...
Last March I asked for ideas on how to knock up a low cost parabolic
reflector for recording birdsong on my MiniDisc recorder. Lots of ideas
came in and thanks to the warmer weather I've now taken advantage of
Maplin's special offer on their 700W Nikkai radiant heater which was going
at my local shop for £3.98.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/133/44913i0.jpg

I removed the wiring, heating element & support, rear plastic cover and
front wire grill; and used one of the now surplus screwed rods as a mount
for my microphone. First results in my local wood were very encouraging.
Pointing it at the tops of trees, I could pick up the noise of wind

rustling
the leaves whilst pointing horizontally the rustling noise was absent.

Got
some quite impressive (to me!) bird song recordings on my first outing.

Not
bad for £4 and more goodies to go in my junk box.

M Stewart

How did you find the focal point for the microphone position? Did you know
a good way is to shine a light on the dish and watch for the point where the
light reflects to. It gives a rough idea of where to put the tip of the
mic' so it actually picks up more accurately from the dish reflection.

Great idea though, and, at that price, you can't complain. :-)

Good hunting.