Ian White

Rob Morley wrote:
"Google" .. I knew I had forgotten something (seriously)! ;-) (Also I
wasn't sure what they were called so that wouldn't help my search ..)

Rawldrills - obvious once you know. Google produces 42 hits.

But alas they aren't what I am thinking of Bob as they look like they
are designed for an SDS drill and that was what I was trying to avoid
(in this case).

Just think of it as a traditional Rawldrill that can be tapped very
precisely with an ordinary hammer. It even has a convenient fluted
handle.

"Ideal for use where power drills cannot be used"

These are the good old "hit and twist" drills that grandad used.

(Dad, actually, which says something about my own age.)

The very smallest of the old Rawldrill collection (3/16") now lives in
the case with the SDS drill, for jobs where a hole needs to be started
in precisely the right place on glazed tiles or a very rough surface.

--
Ian White