Doctor Evil

"Aidan" wrote in message
oups.com...

D wrote:

Is this likely to cause any damage to the boiler, storage tanks or

underfloor heating?

It shouldn't. All the safety devices (safety valve, expansion vessel,
thermostats, etc., ) would normally be inside the boiler casing.
Isolating the heating circuits coming out of the boiler shouldn't cause
any harm. However, if the heating pump is isolated you shouldn't need
to shut the isolating valves; it shouldn't make any difference.

I can't be 100% certain, because the boiler might be different or it
could be a peculiar installation;see below. If the problem is that the
boiler's pump is still running when you think it should be off, you
will wreck it by dead-heading it.

Both these circuits disappear into a small storage tank so that
it works in a semi-combi style, filling the storage tank first.

I can't imagine that. Is the small storage tank outside the boiler
casing?

but the floor nearest the boiler (kitchen area) still gets v. hot from

Is it just the doemstic hot water supply to the taps heating the floor?
This is quite a common installation fault with UFH, typically pipes are
run from manifolds along corridors to numerous zones. If the pipes are
not properly insulated, the corridor gets excessively hot.

It may also be that the system has been incorrectly wired, or the
electric controls are inadequate, so that the boiler's primary heating
pump is still running (causing the floor to get hot) and the UFH is
isolated at the manifolds' control valves.

There would typically be a mixing valve and an UFH secondary pump at
the manifolds. The primary heating pump would be inside the boiler,
circulating water from boiler to manifolds. No demand from all the UFH
manifolds should turn off the boiler's primary heating pump.

I rent a house

I shouldn't mess about with the heating then. Put a rug down. Dry wet
clothes on it.

...or better still ask the landlord how the heating works.