T i m

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 22:50:30 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
Now I know I could punch through it with my
SDS drill (and eventually did) but I wanted to keep the noise down for
the flat above (this *was* midday though and 86 deg) and remembered
I once had a 'masonary punch' that was perfect for cracking a hard
thing with a few taps of a hammer then being able to drill on through.
From memory it had a plated hex body like a cold chisel and a long
fluted parallel shaft / 'punch' bit?

Rawltool. But it wouldn't be anything like as fast as an SDS.

Speed isn't always everything Dave?

And you
needed more than a few taps of a hammer.

I am only talking about fracturing a stone or flint that's trying to
re-direct ter drill bit .. not making the whole hole with the thing
(even though you could).

But they would eventually go
through stuff a hammer drill wouldn't touch.

Indeed .. or break up something sufficiently to let you continue with
a lighter/ quieter cheapo 'hammer' (that aren't) drill?

I've still got a few
somewhere. And they were very hard work.

Typical .. you have 'a few' but don't use them and I would like one
but can't find one anywhere ... sigh ;-)

All the best ..

T i m