ChrisJ wrote:

Problem 2.
This started after the service and it didn't happen before the service.
We live in a hilly area and so regularly use engine revs between
4k-6k. Before the service the engine would rev freely into this range.
Now however the engine revs freely (as before) until it hits approx
4100 rpm then its like someone has put the handbrake on and the engine
only accelerates slowly to 6k. Its a real change in acceleration.
Change gear and the engine pulls strongly up to 4k again.
The garage has changed the fuel filter to try to fix this problem.
Their computer said the car was reporting a low fule pressure but they
couldn't work out where.

I'm not sure if either of these is related but any suggestions appreciated.

(inlcuding a more appropriate list/forum of necessary.

ChrisJ

If it happened after the service I'd check every single connection and
wire loom. I had a car in the past where some halfwit mechanic had
severed a cable and created an intermittent fault.
As for the garage and their diagnostics, I know some here won't like it
but many garages and their diagnostics are out of their arse. They'll
tell you all sorts of crap about what they checked when they haven't
even made any attempt to look at the problem. They would rather do
straight forward jobs and let you work out the fault by deduction.
I'm not familiar with that engine so beyond that can't help. Regards
the spark plug test that others have discussed, forget modern engines,
I handled a HT lead on an '83 1.2 Astra OHV engine many years ago and
got a shock. Not enough to cause me damage but it still hurt - never
tried that test again!