John Rumm

Default So how do they machine that?

I was looking at a steel pulley block the a while ago (the type that
fits onto the end of a crank shaft on an engine and drives the belts)...

It was apparently machined from solid. The hole though the centre of the
approx 3" thick pulley was perhaps 1/2" diameter. The through hole had a
square cut slot (approx 5mm deep and wide) machined into its
circumference for a woodruff key. I was struggling to visualise how you
could machine that, anyone know?

(just occurred to me it may have started life as a casting with the key
slot already cast in place - perhaps it was just drilled and trimmed up
after)

--
Cheers,

John.