Doctor D

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
t...
Electric water heating is expensive; I disagree with the suggestion
to change washing machines to cold fill.

A modern machine will barely use any of the hot water from a hot fill. By
the time hot water has actually come down the line, the fill is complete.
This leads to the water being heated first by gas and then again by
electricity, whilst there is now hot water in the lines needlessly cooling
down. In most circumstances, then, cold fill is actually more energy
efficient.

Christian.

The combi sits above the washing machine and we always run the utility hot
tap before switching it on. A tip from my mother many years ago!
I had quite a search for a washing machine that still accepted a hot fill!

Thanks for the tip though.