PeteZahut

"Owain" wrote in message
PeteZahut wrote:
Assuming you don't want to use the timer facility, supply the fan with
Live and Neutral, and link the PermanentLive and SwitchedLive terminals
at the fan. If you are taking the supply from a socket circuit, use a
Fused Connection Unit fused at 3A.

Thanks so far Owain, what i was hoping to do was just replace the pendant
light which is in the computer room, this would give me a switched live,
neutral and earth,

You should also find the Permanentlive at the ceiling rose.

I was then going to take the permanent live from the feed to the lights
and use a shower type pull cord switch or just one of the wall type
shower/cooker switches which would be out of sight but accessible if
needed, but also left on . Could i do this, I'd then have my twin and
earth and strap a red wire to this. If I can do it that way, how would I
wire the pull cord switch?
Would i be wrong in thinking that just having a switch to isolate the
permanent live will be ok, the lights obviously are covered by the
consumer unit. I would want the fan to run after the light has been
turned off.
Pete

If you want the fan to run on after the light (on the timer), you will
need separate Permanentlive and Switchedlive to the fan, in parallel with
the connections at the ceiling rose, going through a 3pole isolator ot the
fan.

*All* poles (including Neutral) to the fan must have an isolation switch.

Ok thanks again but I think my wording may not be very good in this one.
The fan/light fitting is all in one, it has a light in the centre and an
extractor on the outside of it. Its very similar to this one
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/produc...RODID=18 6174
but I have found it cheaper in a local diy shop which is closing down. The
fitting has a connection box away from the light/fan but only has four
connections.
Sort of like a ceiling rose has the connections then a length of wire to the
pendant. In the light/fan fitting there is the junction box then a
pre-fitted wire to the actual light/fan (not two seperate feeds).
Unfortunately because its been on display in the shop there are no
instructions. However, the man behind the counter has said you could use the
brown, blue and earth wires from the pendant and add a red wire for the
permanent live . I know I can take all these from the ceiling rose as it is
but I'd like to be able to isolate the permanent live just in case plus keep
the original light switch, hence the out of reach switch. Does that make
sense or is it overkill on the safety side?
Pete