BigWallop

"Fred" wrote in message
Hello

I need to paint the rendering on my house again. I have two areas where
access is a problem. One is over a conservatory and the other is a very

high
(~32') roof line on one side - the house is built on a slope and the damp
course is about 8' above ground level on that side.

Last time I painted (before the conservatory) I used a long ladder.
Unfortunately, there is an unmoveable fence on the high side of the house
leaving only about 5' between the fence and the house - meaning the ladder
was at a decidedly unsafe angle.

I'm thinking about using scaffolding or some sort of tower arrangement

this
time round and wondered if anyone had any experience of these. How high

can
the preassembled towers reach and are they reasonably easy to use? I'm
assuming that erecting traditional scaffolding is a skilled job that has

be done by professionals? How long does it take to scaffold one (high)

side
of a house and how much will I need to budget for?

Our conservatory is a traditional (i.e. uPVC!) construction with triple
layer (acrylic?) plastic panels in the roof. Is it possible to plank these
over and walk on them? If not, then how easy is it to span a 15' wide
conservatory with an access platform - are there special purpose solutions
to this problem?

Finally, any advice on painting (preparation + application method) rough
textured rendering would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Fred

This is where long poles and paint rollers come in to play. You can
actually hire the tools for this job quite cheaply, and they make life so
much easier. All you need is access to a height where you can see the job,
not actually be close to the job. You can then roll the paint on with ease.

For the little fiddly bits you get a brush that fixes to the end of the long
pole. This is dipped and worked along the edges before the roller comes in
and finishes the large spaces. Easy, and safer.