The Natural Philosopher

ChrisJ wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
ChrisJ chris@youmustbejokingifyouthinkImputtingmyrealadd resshere.com
wrote:

Their computer said the car was reporting a low fule pressure but
they couldn't work out where.

That's my bet too. It's fuel injection?

It is fuel injection.

Change the regulator.

Other possibility is a fuel pump on the way out, but a decent garage
should be able to check both pressure and flow.

The garage said it could be one of many things and they'd be happy to
change them all for us. I was trying to find which was most likely to
minimise costs as I don't want the parts to cost more than the car!

Thats standard with garages and fuel injection.

You need someone who actually knows how to fault find it.

There are garages that have the test equipment.

Thibgs I have had problems with have been temperature sensors and air
flow meters

Tem sensoirs will give problems when hot or cold, but not both usually -
my GF's Pug had a water temp sesnor go high - started and ran, but would
flood and stall when hot.

Airflow meters are often nothing more than a flap that turns a
potentiometer and a light spring to close against air pressure. If its
sticking then full RPM may well not get you full fuel - leading to weak
running at high RPM.

The garage may have adjusted the mixture weak anyway to get CO emissions
down.

See if you can ID te fuel flow meter - generally in the inlet pipework.
A leak in that pipework that by-passes teh meter may alos have bad results.

Check it turns freely, and if you have a resistance meter, check that
the potentiometer is not wormnn out - resistance is erratic etc.

Replacements from scrappies should work.

Chris