Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Capitol writes:

I noticed some comments earlier in the thread on the phasing problems
of 400Hz. There are no problems if the main distribution system is HVDC.

Except for the cost of the converters at each end of the line,
which is astronomic compared with cost of transformers.

This is why major power links have been HVDC for many years AIUI. The

HVDC is used to cross synchronisation areas. It is also advantageous
in cables where the DC stresses the insulation less than AC. But the
cost of the end station plant and any line switches means it's used
only when absolutely essential. Generally it's much cheaper to make
sychronisation zones as big as possible. Great Britain is all one zone.
I haven't seen a recent map of Europe, but prior to the fall of the
Berlin wall, continental Europe was 2 zones, the West controlled by
Switzerland, and the Eastern European countries controlled from Moscow
(although the USSR itself was multiple zones -- too big for one zone).
The East and West zones weren't linked -- cost of the converters made
it non-viable. GB and the West were/are linked across the English
Channel on DC links, through which we buy the output of the French
nuclear power plats they build along their north coast, due to the
politics involved building them 25 miles further north in the UK.

50Hz local distribution system is purely historic and well entrenched
but the transformer sizes could be substantially reduced with 400HZ. In

I don't think anyone cares about transformer size anything like to
the extent you seem to.

the US, local transformers on a pole appear to be the norm in a lot of
areas.

Well 120V doesn't go very far before the regulation has gone to pot.

These would certainly be lighter at 400Hz. The 400 Hz suggestion
comes from discussions with US engineers many years ago on which way
would you go today if you could start again. I certainly like it. I

I think it's a non-starter.

--
Andrew Gabriel