andrewpreece

"ChrisJ" chris@youmustbejokingifyouthinkImputtingmyrealadd resshere.com
wrote in message ...
I'm not sure if this is classed as off topic but as I'm going to fix it
myself (all being well) I thought I'd at least try...

I've got an N reg 1.25 Fiesta Zetec with 80k on the clock. It starts
first time every time and runs fine and smoothly. However I have the
following two problems.

Problem 1.
After starting, although the engine sounds fine its absolutely gutless
and has a real job pulling away up a slight gradient (yes I AM in first
gear and the brake is off). Once its warm its OK. No problems at all.
My only thoughts are that it might be something to do with the auto
choke which is the only thing I can think of that would be so different
with a warm engine to a cold one. This has been going on for about 2
months.

Problem 2.
This started after the service and it didn't happen before the service.
We live in a hilly area and so regularly use engine revs between
4k-6k. Before the service the engine would rev freely into this range.
Now however the engine revs freely (as before) until it hits approx
4100 rpm then its like someone has put the handbrake on and the engine
only accelerates slowly to 6k. Its a real change in acceleration.
Change gear and the engine pulls strongly up to 4k again.
The garage has changed the fuel filter to try to fix this problem.
Their computer said the car was reporting a low fule pressure but they
couldn't work out where.

I'm not sure if either of these is related but any suggestions

appreciated.

(inlcuding a more appropriate list/forum of necessary.

ChrisJ

I've no idea, and cars don't generally feature on this newsgroup. However,
have
you had a look at the spark plugs, to see if they're gapped correctly, and
are the right
colour, i.e. not contaminated. Look at the oil filler cap to to see if you
have a water leak in the block ( cap will look milky inside - a longshot ).
Also, is there a decent spark getting to them? Take one
out and connect its body to the block so it will still spark. Are the leads
OK? Run the
engine up in the dark and see if you can spot electricity arcing to earth
from the leads.
A long shot, but it's good to eliminate the obvious stuff, weak sparks can
make an engine
perform poorly, though it generally doesn't improve. Is your thermostat
working? If it
were stuck open the car might perform poorly from cold.
Has this car got an electronic engine controller? That could also be a prob.
I think you'd
be better off on a more knowledgeable newgroup. Is there a Fiesta Owners
Club? Otherwise
it could be down to you changing over components like the fuel pump etc
until you get lucky.

PS: Try uk.rec.cars.maintenance as a more appropriate newgroup.

Andy.