chibitul

Default Panasonic TV model CT-20G11U image distortion

Hi,

Patient: Panasonic TV, 20", I think I got it in 8 years ago. Model
number is CT-20G11U

Symptom: The top 10% part of the image is very distorted, but most of
the rest of the image is OK. I think that part of the image is
non-linear, the lines are very spaced at the very top and they are very
close at the bottom, and then the other 90% of the image is mostly
fine. This problem comes and goes in the first 10 minutes after
startup, then is stays there. The problem started one month ago, and it
seems to get worse.

I am about to go shopping for a new TV. Wife wants the same size (20",
that is the TV, not what you might think off...), I would like a
30-32", I have seen some Sanyo models with built-in HDTV tuner. But I
digress...

Back to my sick patient: before I dump it, is there any chance that I
might fit it myself? like a leaking capacitor, or an overheating
resistor, or something like that??? I am not shy to handle a soldering
iron, and I have basic electronic knowledge (i.e. I know most than 99.9
os so than most people, but I am no TV repair guru at all). I have
access to a Tektronix scope if useful, TDS3000 series.

So in a few days I am headed to the dumpster, unless one of you gurus
tells me something like "THERE IS USUALY A CAPACITOR ON THE MAIN BOARD
THAT LEAKS, CHECK C101 FIRST AND IF NOT, THEN RESISTOR 102", well, you
get the idea, if you know something, say it.

Thanks. many many thanks.