bridger

Thanks everyone,

I have a feeling I am going to have to recoat - too bad as I mentioned
it's a huge undertaking

rip it out and start over.....

and this is my home office so I can ill afford
the time - but also can ill afford the smell.

if you can smell it it means you are absorbing it via your lungs into
your bloodstream..... nice thought, eh?

Assuming I do strip or scrap or sand this all away what would you
recommend as a hassle free replacement, considering the the pigment of
spar urethane gives the natural MDF a really nice look.

"natural" MDF? G
varnish is probably the best bet. it needn't be spar or polyurethane.
consider a tabletop varnish:
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?DeptID=4043&FamilyID=751
or McCloskey heirloom varnish (about halfway down:
http://www.o-geepaint.com/ArchiCoats/McCloskey/McCloskey.shtml
for some more data, try:
http://www.woodzone.com/articles/wood_finishes.htm

Also, I simply used latex paint on the bottom of the desk but later
read that only polyurethane adequetly seals mdf against formeldahyde
(sp?) release. Is there any thing to do about that?

here's georga pacific's MSDS for MDF:
http://www.gp.com/BUILD/DocumentViewer.aspx?repository=BP&elementid=4503

basically, the formaldehyde is released when you cut, sand or burn the
stuff. just sitting there it doesn't present a hazard. sealing all
surfaces is not a bad idea though, because it absorbs moisture. you are
breathing a lot more toxic stuff by having that improperly cured
polyurethane in your house than you will ever get from the MDF.

Thanks,

Zander

hope it helps.