Rob McDonald

"Gary" wrote in news:1120933338.244513.39470
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

... I have moved from a condo in the city to 29
wooded hilltop acres in the country. My house is now all electric. My
nearly new dryer is natural gas.
I hate cooking on an electric range and am not impressed with my
electric water heater so I plan on replacing them with gas units...

I did this in January. It does depend upon the unit, but these days most
gas appliances seem to be capable of conversion. Sometimes a kit is needed
(you need smaller orifices for propane than natural gas). My 10 yr old
Magic Chef stove (made by Maytag I believe) only needed some adjustments,
no additional parts. Look at the manuals for your appliances (you do still
have them don't you? :-) and they will probably indicate what is necessary.
If not, any local gas service outfit should be able to tell you, if you
provide make, model, and serial#.

Since my only gas appliance (for now) is a stove I just got a 100# propane
tank of the sort used by construction companies to feed their "salamander"
heaters. It's been six months so far on one tank, and we cook a lot (we
have four teens, two of them girls who like to bake). When it runs out I
will just use the 20# tank from my propane BBQ until the 100# tank is
refilled. Since I am renting a portable tank I have the choice of having
the supplier replace it with another full one (for a delivery charge) or
just sling it in the trailer and have it filled at the cheapest propane
supplier in town.

Rob