Bruce L. Bergman

On 9 Jul 2005 09:08:20 -0700, "Dave" wrote:
jtaylor wrote:

I have a small (=light) car that will need a lot of work done. It would be
easier if it was off the ground by more than the height those car stands you
get at the auto stores can do.

So I'm thinking of making some stands from wood, and jacking it up in stages
onto them. Has anyone done this, and are there any pitfalls (a particularly
appropriate term) of which I should be aware?

I think this looks interesting...

I think this looks more interesting - not to mention more practical:

Only problem being, they do not give you any dimensions in the ad
copy or the instructions as to how tall the stupid thing is...

I can tuck the top cross-beam in between the ceiling joists since
they run in the right direction (and adding more joists and drywalling
the garage ceiling is way down on my list), but if the lowest point on
the cross-beam (where the limit switch is) is lower than 100" (8'4")
the car will hit the ceiling.

That, or I have to slice the garage roof off where it attaches to
the rest of the house, raise it up a foot or two, and put in some
cripple walls to support it. That'll be fun...

They say in the instructions not to leave a car up on the lift,
lower it as soon as you are done working for the day - but I know
someone who uses three of these two-post lifts as "garage expanders"
so they can park another car underneath in their industrial unit.
Another /restored/ 98-point /show/ car. Of course, after the next big
earthquake I'll be able hear Paul's anguished screams from my house 30
miles away...

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545