john jardine

wrote in message
oups.com...
It may not sound like a serious question, but it is.

[..]

About 10 years ago, prior to their stock market flotation,
www.isotron.com/home.htm were being hailed by market brokers as the next
license to print money. Isotron's food irradiation technology was going to
be the enabling means for the big food providers to massively reduce wastage
and increase their profits.
Fortunately, just before flotation, the U.K. government took onboard the
advice of it's scientists and made food irradiation illegal. Isotron had to
quickly scramble into other areas.
Hasn't though stopped a number of scumbag operators who irradiate food
declared 'unfit for human consumption' and feed it back into our food chain.
Irradiation is particularly effective when used on rotting seafoods, (eg
Prawns). The usual process is to ship the stuff out to Holland (irradiation
is legal) irradiate it and then bring it back into UK.
Every couple of months a case come before the courts.

If irradiating is illegal, I still can't figure out (as an experiment) why a
punnet of Tesco's or Morrisons' 'fresh Strwaberries' can spend 3 weeks
outside in the garden and yet not rot.
regards
john