Andy Pandy

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 06:28:50 GMT, "TRENTY"
wrote:

This is driving me nuts, whats the purpose of the 5 wire system i have come
across when trying to replace an outdoor lantern, security light? I have
been presented with 2 red wires, 2 black wires and an earth.

Now in hindsight i should have looked inside the other light when i took it
off but it was in such a poor rusty condition etc, it was hard enough
getting the damn thing off the wall and in the end it was clip the wires at
the back job. Now i assumed it was a red + red, black + black and an earth
but everyone told me this is wrong, and even some black wires could be
classed as live!!

I have tried every combinations possible, the two reds joined together in a
sep choc bloc and 1 black for live and one black for neutral even, it does
not matter what i do i either get nothing or trip the light circuit for the
house.

I have attached the instructions, hopefully someone knows my plight as this
is getting so frustrating and embarassing

Thank You for reading this

Bryan

Further to my earlier effort... I now suspect you have two cables
coming from the house.

One will be the straightforward mains feed previously described. This
you can identify with a mulitmeter.

The second is probably an internal over-ride switch which can
effectively short-circuit the PIR allowing you to switch the light on
from indoors.

Again the multimeter can be used to confirm this, looking for
continuity when the switch is ON. It would be wired across the PIR, L
to L, N to N.

HTH
Andy