Andy Pandy

Default Outdoor Wiring Of Light - HELP!!!

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 06:28:50 GMT, "TRENTY"
wrote:

This is driving me nuts, whats the purpose of the 5 wire system i have come
across when trying to replace an outdoor lantern, security light? I have
been presented with 2 red wires, 2 black wires and an earth.

Now in hindsight i should have looked inside the other light when i took it
off but it was in such a poor rusty condition etc, it was hard enough
getting the damn thing off the wall and in the end it was clip the wires at
the back job. Now i assumed it was a red + red, black + black and an earth
but everyone told me this is wrong, and even some black wires could be
classed as live!!

I have tried every combinations possible, the two reds joined together in a
sep choc bloc and 1 black for live and one black for neutral even, it does
not matter what i do i either get nothing or trip the light circuit for the
house.

I have attached the instructions, hopefully someone knows my plight as this
is getting so frustrating and embarassing

Thank You for reading this

Bryan

Well... I'll have a go. :-)

According to the diagram there should only be one supply cable coming
from inside the house. This is connected to the screws marked L.N.E.

The L then goes out on L feed to the PIR, returning - when conditions
demand the light to be on i.e. darkeness, on what would normally be
the neutral wire but in thsi case is classed as a switched L.

This is taken via the top connector block out on the L wire to the
lamp, whose N return is connected to the main incoming neutral.

Which should work, providing the PIR is set up correctly and the buld
is OK.

HTH
Andy