Capitol

Jim Michaels wrote:

In any
case the U.S. Voltage is due to historical factors. I am sure the
British voltage was not selected much more recently.

Both the US and British voltages are a result of history. The British
started with 100V IIRC, (100V was picked (by Edison)as it is a nice
round number!) then moved up to 220V DC as it was cheaper to distribute
power at the higher voltage. Parts of Camden Town in London were only
converted from this in 1958. When the power supply world moved on, in
the UK, AC was introduced and AIUI the available transformer stampings
were optimal at 50Hz. The US came in with AC a bit later IIRC, and by
then the laminations would sustain 60Hz, reducing the transformer size(
& cost) and centre tapping the 230V allowed the use of the old
distribution circuits and products without upgrading. If we were
starting again today the world would probably settle for 230V @ 400 Hz,
giving smaller ( &cheap) transformers without significantly increased
losses.

The US consumer has a product penalty as a result of using 230V, in
that 2KW per 120V appliance is probably a realistic limit for the house
wiring used, hence electric toasters and kettles are a pale shadow of
the European ones. Also DIY tools, just do not have the "grunt" achieved
by 230V. Dishwashers also are frequently hot fill. However 240V centre
tapped is a lot safer than 0 - 240V IMO. US wiring is, I believe,
produced to a higher temperature performance specification than Europe.
Certainly this is true for internal wiring in consumer products. Having
experienced US wirenuts, I can confirm that they are a fire on the way
to a happening with solid cables and would never be accepted in the UK.
US wiring in conduit is much safer from an accidental shorting viewpoint
than UK wiring just buried in walls and if conduit wires are used, is
much easier to modify.

I believe the UK has very acceptable standards for wiring, but would
probably benefit from using a 120-0-120V system on the grounds of safety
and has gone over the top on equipotential bonding. On a basic level,
who cares if the fault current is not sky high as long as the trip works!

Just a few comments

Regards
Capitol