Andy Whitfield

"Grunff" wrote in message ...
wrote:

OK, assuming it is a neighbour is there anyway I can stabalize my
electricity supply? I really do not want to have to change all my bulbs!

Yes, it's relatively straightforward. You basically use your incoming
supply to feed a large UPS setup, which is itself capable to supplying
your household needs. This effectively decouples your system from the
incoming feed.
Grunff

The vast majority of UPSs do not decouple your "system from the incoming feed".
There are 3 common types of UPS technology.

Standby type (EG. APC Back-UPS) pass the mains through via relays when the supply is in the range of approx 210Vac to 255Vac.
Outside this range they go to batteries.

Line Interactive type (EG. APC Smart UPS) have a step up / step down transformer. So they pass the mains through via relays
when the supply is in the range of approx 210Vac to 255Vac. If the supply is approx 170Vac to 210Vac they step up via the
transformer and approx between 255Vac to 275Vac they step down. Outside this range they go to batteries.

True Online Double Conversion (EG. Powerware series 9) continually convert the AC mains supply to smoothed DC then construct
a perfect AC output. These effectively decouple your "system from the incoming feed".

The first two types do allow the mains voltage to vary considerably so you will see the lights flicker just as much. If your
mains supply hovers around either the lower or upper voltage then the line interactive UPS can make your lights flicker even
more as it keeps switching between passing the mains straight through and either stepping up (or stepping down) the voltage.
When it steps up or down the is a big jump in the voltage. Mains (line) conditioners typically work in the same way with a
step up / step down transformer.

But true online UPSs keep the output voltage at a set 240Vac. They also output a totally clean sine wave. Whereas the first
two types will pass through harmonics, distortion and some noise.

For lighting use a true online UPS.

As you might guess I run my own UPS business.
Regards
Andy