Lobster

BigWallop wrote:
"Lobster" wrote in message

Well, it's running water for sure, not condensation. One of the two
leaks came to light earlier this week when I was in there; SWMBO came
running upstairs shrieking about the flood. There was water running out
of a light fitting - one of thoise with an inverted glass bowl as a
shade, which had filled with about a pint or so of water and was
overflowing. When I took it down to empty, I found a vast number of
tide marks at different levels all around the inside of the bowl - one
for each time the shower's been used - telling me that this leaking has
been going on undetected for weeks, if not months, and presumably until
now the heat from the light has been enough to evaporate off surplus
water in between showers, until now, when we are barely using the light
as it's midsummer. Ouch.

WOW!!! It's enough water to flow through the ceiling in the time it takes
for one shower? Are you sure it's the door area that's leaking? This
sounds more like a leak in the seal around the tray and wall joint, or on
the waste outlet pipework. The drips that flow from the door seals would
only be enough to wet the floor, not flow through the ceiling into the room
below. You'd have to point the head of the shower at the shower door, and
leave the shower doors fully open for that amount of water to get out.

It's not your door screen that's leaking mate, it's the waste outlet under
the tray. For damn sure.

Really don't think so. I can get my hand to the outlet and it's bone
dry, and the (inaccessible) pipework goes in the other direction, away
from the wet area. Point is, it's evidently been leaking very slowly
over a long period, presumably not allowing the damp between the ceiling
and floor to dry out, so that it builds up and emerges through the
ceiling? The other day when it emerged it happened at the end of a the
second (longish) shower in a row.

If it IS a pipework issue then that would really be a mess - the tray
was installed by a pro (ha-ha) without any thought given to any future
maintenance/access issues (at least the other shower I installed
recently myself - less serious leak - is reasonably easy to get at).

David