DanG

You might look at these. It would help if we knew what you are
moving and what kind of cart/chair/tool on the ceramic tile.
http://www.sphericalwheel.com/

I have always used Shepherd brand ball casters on "nice" stuff and
would not hesitate to recommend.
http://www.shepherdhardware.com/Page...softtread.html

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote in message
Hello,

I've seen these casters that simply a rubber ball in a steel
housing with a plate for attaching. There are probably some
ball bearings fit in that housing somehow as well.
I've googled and otherwise searched the web to no avail.
I've called a few contractor hardware places in the area and
while they know what I'm talking about no one has a clue
where to get them.

I'm not talking about the stem type ball caster you see used
on chairs. This is a plate caster, plate 4-6" square with
the ball centered w/respect to the plate and held in place
w/enough of a steel sphere to keep it there. The idea is a
very very smooth swivel.

Anyone have a source for these casters?

Anyone have any experience with them, i.e. do they suck?
I'm thinking they'd be a lot easier to find if they were
popular.

thanks for the help
ml