Thanks everyone,

I have a feeling I am going to have to recoat - too bad as I mentioned
it's a huge undertaking and this is my home office so I can ill afford
the time - but also can ill afford the smell.

Assuming I do strip or scrap or sand this all away what would you
recommend as a hassle free replacement, considering the the pigment of
spar urethane gives the natural MDF a really nice look.

Also, I simply used latex paint on the bottom of the desk but later
read that only polyurethane adequetly seals mdf against formeldahyde
(sp?) release. Is there any thing to do about that?

Thanks,

Zander