Bruce L. Bergman

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 04:22:55 GMT, Ignoramus15786
wrote:
On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 23:06:41 -0500, lionslair at consolidated dot net "lionslair at consolidated dot net" wrote:
Ignoramus15786 wrote:

Just confirming... there is no easy way to make a 3 phase welder run
on 1 phase power, is that right? I would need a full fledged phae
converter to run one, is that true?

It depends on the 3 phase welder. New Millers for example are
possible of many voltages and phase or legs.

Old versions of 3 phase would likely be best on a rotary I suppose
but the other tuned type might work.

Just use a 220V motor to drive a shaft that couples to a shaft of a
3 phase...

thanks... the question is about a Miller CP-300...

Don't be an ignoramus - Oh waitaminit, I've gotta remember who I'm
talking to here... ;-P

Go to www.millerwelds.com Go to the 'Service & Support' tab, then
the 'Owners Manual' sub-tab, and enter CP-300 in the model box and the
serial number in that box, and the exact instruction manual for your
welder should pop up in a .pdf file. And you're good to go. ;-)

It wouldn't show me the book for your particular welder because I
don't have the serial number. Obviously, when they made mid-year
upgrades, they reprinted the manuals to cover them. I looked in my
paper catalog, and the current model CP-302 is 3-phase only.

If it's three phase only, that's what the transformers inside need
to see - the inverter style units can adapt, transformers can't unless
they were designed for both 1ph and 3ph. Static converters are out -
they are simply a start capacitor box to get motors going, they won't
supply effective running power to the third leg.

A rotary converter will probably work IF you connect the
manufactured leg only to the welding transformer - two of the legs go
to the control circuits and they'll need to be the two Utility
supplied legs. Call or write Miller for details, I'm sure they've
been through all this thousands of times...

Hell, I'd just order up a new Big-40 or Trailblazer 302 and be done
with it. Just add fuel and go.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545