Kathy

"R. Gerard" wrote in
message

rthlink.net...
In article

.
com,
"Ctal" wrote:

We've got an attic AC unit. Over the past week

the AC has shut down
(wonderful in our 90+ summer weather). It's

doing this because of a
kill switch in the drip pan. As the drip pan

fills up, it raises a
float on the switch and shuts the unit off.

I just had a similar problem with our heat pump.

I have two compressors
in the back yard, and one air handler in the

attic and the other in the
basement.

We discovered a very wet ceiling in the basement

of our 3-story
townhouse in MD.

Presuming a leaking water pipe, we called he

plumber who had to knock a
hole in the ceiling about two feet by 18 inches.

Looked around and
determined that it was NOT a leaking pipe but a

leak from a pipe
associated with the air handler in the attic.

The heat pump guys came out and checked the attic

air handler and
determined that it was a blocked drain pipe that

handled the humidity
the air handler pulled out of the air. The water

from the air handler
went down a plastic drain pipe. The guys who

came out could not figure
out where that pipe led. They had a pistol-like

device into which you
put a COs cartridge then fire it down the blocked

drain.

They fired two of these down the drain then

followed it with a gallon
or two of water. I stood in the basement ready

to see if any water
dripped. None. Presume that's done the trick

but we are going to leave
that ceiling unrepaired for a month or two to see

if any more water
drips out. Servicemen also recommended pouring a

bottle of the drain
cleaner formulated for plastic pipes down the "Y"

joint at the head of
the drain pipe just an added insurance.

bob

Why don't you just run a new drain line?