SteveB

"jtaylor" wrote in message
t.ca...
I have a small (=light) car that will need a lot of work done. It would be
easier if it was off the ground by more than the height those car stands
you
get at the auto stores can do.

So I'm thinking of making some stands from wood, and jacking it up in
stages
onto them. Has anyone done this, and are there any pitfalls (a
particularly
appropriate term) of which I should be aware?

I would not hesitate to use wood to support a car. I would use 4x4s, and
put them in alternating directions, and use 2xs to make up the difference.

But, hey, I'm a metal guy, so I prefer metal. And rather than mess around
building them, I go buy them. I have four, and they are not the cheapo
variety. I got them at a yard sale. They are about 20 years old, and I
don't know what a comparable set of four would cost today. You can't beat a
good set of jackstands. They are cheap, Cheap, CHEAP! And they are a
breeze to build. ;-) Pep Boys, Checker, wherever.

It's yer life, man. Don't dick around with wood stands when you can have
good steel jack stands. Steel jack stands can be placed and removed in
seconds versus heavy wood planking, or a heavy wood monstrosity imitation of
a real steel jack stand. They can be placed exactly under a support point
where wanted, and not interfere with access.

Do wood if you want, but make sure your insurance is in order.

Steve