Jim Yanik

"Doug Kanter" wrote in
:

"SoCalMike" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:

I said nothing about reducing engine size. I'm talking about the
100-200 lbs of extra parts that a 4WD vehicle needs to turn, even
when 4WD is not engaged. Take a Ford Explorer, for instance.
***BASICALLY*** the same V-8 as a Crown Victoria. The sedan gets (in
real world terms) about 25% better gas mileage.

fleets like that generally want to stick with one type of vehicle, so
they can keep a smaller supply of parts like tires, filters, etc.
plus, car tires are cheaper than SUV tires.

True, but with the political clout they have, I don't think the NYS
police would put up with bad vehicles for very long, considering that
they have to drive the things in some of the most disgusting weather
you've ever seen.

Actually,police departments are turning to more SUVs as the large autos
they need are being discontinued.And the SUVs work better in flood and
other weather conditions.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik