Jim Yanik

"Doug Kanter" wrote in
news
"Rod Speed" wrote in message

And, offer 4wd versions for people who explicitly ask for them. I
don't think many will.

Sure, but you wont get any real improvement in fuel efficiency your
way.

I don't agree, and neither do the three mechanics at the shop I've
been using for years, but it's not worth debating. It's enough to say
that if you add a hundred pounds of rotating parts to a drive train,
and they do nothing most of the time, there MUST be some effect. Maybe
not as large as I suspect, but greater than zero.

The only thing that will do anything much about the consumers
choose fuel efficient cars is to let the price of fuel increase until
the cost of the fuel has a real impact on consumer's car buying
decisions.

That's the real problem, isn't it? People say "I don't mind the low
gas mileage on this thing I drive. I can afford the gas." In fact,
they should be saying "Indirectly, my son died in Iraq to protect the
oil supply which we wouldn't need (someday) if our dicks weren't so
wrapped up in the kinds of cars we drive".

Except that our oil is presently coming from CANADA,VENEZUELA,and
Mexico,not Iraq or Saudi Arabia.

Oil prices are up because Communist China is using much more oil due to
their increasingly industrialized economy,thus the present supply has to go
to more consumers,thus the rise in price.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik